Smarties Nursery has recently renewed its Healthy Eating award and has gone on to support the staff on advanced nutrition courses. All the meals are nutritionally balanced with a large emphasis being placed on developing children’s tastes from an early age. Rita, our cook has been with us for 17 years and constantly reviews our menus to ensure we offer a healthy and interesting variety of meals. Baby food is prepared on site and advice is given to parents regarding weaning. If your child requires a special diet for cultural or dietary needs we will endeavor to liaise with you to ensure we provide the same foods as home. We also encourage cooking activities involving children, to support children’s understanding of healthy eating.
We have found the following poster on portion control, from HENRY (Health Exercise Nutrition for the Really Young) very useful. Please click to open.
Meals and snacks provided for the children are extremely nutritious and balanced.
I would like to extend my thanks to how well you have managed and catered for Finley's allergies and specific dietary requirements. From when he joined the baby room and was dairy free to the more serious peanut/nut allergy he currently has.
The lengths you have gone to to make the nursery nut free and the changes you have put in place have been much appreciated.
Below is one of the children’s favourites for you to try at home;
Basil & Pumpkin Seed Pesto and Pasta
90g pumpkin seeds
1 cloves garlic
60g fresh basil
180ml olive oil or rapeseed oil
60g parmesan cheese
Juice of 1 lemons
Seasoning if required
1-2 x 420g tins of chopped tomatoes.
- Put the pumpkin seeds & garlic in a food processor and pulse until seeds are in coarse grains.
- Add the basil & pulse briefly until finely chopped & blended with the seeds.
- With the machine running pour in the oil in a slow steady stream until you have a thick grainy paste.
- Scrape the mixture into a bowl, add the grated cheese & a little extra oil if needed.
- Mix the pesto paste into 1 Â½ tins of tomatoes & pour over cooked pasta (adding more tomatoes of required).